Are you looking for some unique funeral inspiration ideas for honoring a family’s deceased loved one? We know how important it is for you to create special funeral ceremonies, so we want to help.
Creating personalized funerals matters, because they capture the uniqueness of a person and help tell their life story. They’re more meaningful, and ultimately help families along their grief journey.
In this guide, you’ll find songs, scripture, quotes, poems, and other memorial ideas for your next funeral service. You can use these ideas and examples to craft one-of-a-kind celebration of life ceremonies for families.
Keep this article as a reference guide or share it with your families to help them find funeral inspiration ideas.
Download Tribute Center to start creating beautiful mementos and personalized funeral stationery products for your families.
Unique Funeral Personalization Ideas for Honoring and Remembering Grandparents
- Grandpa by Justin Moore. “But when you talked bout’ the war, thought you were superman. American born simple man…”
- Grandma’s Hands by Bill Withers. “Grandma’s hands used to hand me piece of candy. Grandma’s hands picked me up each time I fell…”
- Proverbs 16:31 — “Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.”
- Proverbs 17:6 — “Children’s children are the crown of old men; the glory of children are their parents.”
- We Had a Wonderful Grandfather — Unknown Author
Excerpt: “We had a wonderful grandfather,
One who never really grew old;
His smile was made of sunshine,
And his heart was solid gold;”
- The Magic of a Grandmother — Unknown Author
Excerpt: “There was magic in grandmother’s touch,
and sunshine in her smile.
There was love in everything she did
to make our lives worthwhile.”
- “Sometimes our grandmas and grandpas are like grand-angels.” — Lexie Saige
- “There is nothing more wonderful than the love and guidance a grandparent can give his or her grandchild.” — Edward Fays
Unique Funeral Personalization Ideas for Honoring and Remembering Mothers
- Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler. “It might have appeared to go unnoticed, but I’ve got it all here in my heart. I want you to know the truth, of course I know it. I would be nothing without you.”
- A Song for Mama by Boyz II Men. “When skies were gray, whenever I was down. You were always there to comfort me. And no one else can be, what you have been to me you will always be…”
- Psalm 34:18 — “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
- John 16:22 — “Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you.”
- To My Mother — Edgar Allen Poe
Excerpt: “Because I feel that, in the Heavens above,
The angels, whispering to one another,
Can find, among their burning terms of live,
None so devotional as that of “Mother…”
- You Were There — Unknown Author
Excerpt: “You were there when we took our first steps,
And went unsteadily across the floor.
You pushed and prodded: encouraged and guided,
Until our steps took us out the door…”
- “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” — Jewish Proverb
- “All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” — Abraham Lincoln
Unique Funeral Personalization Ideas for Honoring and Remembering Fathers
- Dance with My Father by Luther Vandross. “Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence, my father would lift me high, and dance with my other and me…”
- Thank You for Being My Dad by Jon Barker. “Even though the years drift away, I never took the time to just say, ‘I love you, and I always have, and thank you for being my Dad…”
- Proverbs 12:28 — “In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.”
- Proverbs 20:7 — “A righteous man who walk in his integrity — How blessed are his sons after him.”
- Only a Dad — Edgar Guest
Excerpt: “Only a dad but he gives his all
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim,
The deeds that his father did for him.
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a dad, but the best of men.”
- Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night — Dylan Thomas
Excerpt: “And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
- “A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.” — Unknown Author
- “Dad: A son’s first hero, a daughter’s first love.” — Unknown Author
Unique Funeral Personalization Ideas for Honoring and Remembering Partners
- Never Tear Us Apart by INXS. “I was standing, you were there. Two worlds collided, and they could never ever tear us apart…”
- Lean on Me by Bill Withers. “Sometimes in our lives we all pain. We all have sorrow. But if we are wise, we know that there’s always tomorrow…”
- Matthew 5:4 — “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
- Joshua 1:9 — “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
- To My Beloved — Celia Wenig
Excerpt: “My grief wears me down, I shed so many tears,
As I recall your love and devotion through the years.
For your sake and in memory of your name,
I pray for strength to do things the same.”
- Save Me a Seat — Fred N. Cloninger Jr.
Excerpt: “I guess I’m being selfish for wanting you here,
God needed you more, away up there
So goodbye, my Love, thanks for the ride
Some day we’ll meet on the other side”
- “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” — Andre Maurois.
- “One flesh. Or if you prefer, one ship. The starboard engine has gone. I, the port engine, must chug along somehow till we make harbour. Or rather, till the journey ends.” — C.S. Lewis
Unique Funeral Personalization Ideas for Honoring and Remembering Children
- Lullaby by Dixie Chicks. “How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough? ‘Cause I’m never, never giving you up…”
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole. “Someday I’ll wish upon a star. Wake up where the clouds are far behind me. Where trouble melts like lemon drops. High above the chimney top. That’s where you’ll find me…”
- Matthew 11:25-26 — “At that time Jesus said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 — “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, sine what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
- A Child of Mine — Edgar Guest
Excerpt: “But should the angels call for him,
Much sooner than we’ve planned.
We’ll brave the bitter grief that comes,
And try to understand.”
- The Angel — Hans Christian Andersen
Excerpt: “Then the child opened his eyes wide and looked up into the angel’s beautiful happy face, and at that moment they found themselves in God’s Heaven where there was everlasting joy and happiness. And God pressed the child to His bosom, and he received glorious white wings like the angel’s, so they flew together, hand in hand.”
- “No farewell words were spoken, no time to say goodbye. You were gone before we knew it, and only God knows why.” — Unknown Author.
- “There is no footprint too small to leave an imprint on this world.” — Unknown Author
Unique Funeral Personalization Ideas for Honoring and Remembering Soldiers
- If Heaven Was Needing a Hero by Jo Dee Messina. “I guess Heaven was needing a hero. Somebody just like you. Brave enough to stand up for what you believe and follow it through. When I try to make it make sense in my mind, the only conclusion I come to, is that Heaven was needing a hero like you…”
- A Soldier’s Last Letter by Merle Haggard. “Then the mother’s old hands began to tremble. And she fought against tears in her eyes. But they came to unashamed, for there was no name. Ad she knew that her soldier had died…”
- John 15:13 — “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
- John 11: 25-26 — “Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?’”
- In Flanders Field — John McCrae
Excerpt: “We are the dead; short days ago
We lived, felt down, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.”
- A Soldier Died Today — A. Lawrence Vaincourt
Excerpt: “And the world’s a little poorer, for a soldier died today.
He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world won’t note his passing, though a soldier died today.”
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” — Joseph Campbell.
- “The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.” — Benjamin Disraeli.
Using Our All-In-One Personalization Suite Tribute Center to Create Unique Memorials
With Tribute Center, you can create custom mementos for families, such as funeral register books, program folders, thank-you cards, Life Journey Candles, and Tribute Videos. You can use any of the songs, scripture, poems, and quotes mentioned above or others suggested by the family. You also can choose from hundreds of Tribute Center’s preloaded quotes, poems, prayers, thank-you messages, song lyrics, scripture passages, and more — saving you valuable time.
Additionally, you have the freedom to stylize the fonts or choose from hundreds of pre-stylized texts. There are also pre-designed themes related to hobbies, family, religion, military, nature, and more. With this tool, you can truly create meaningful memorials with nearly limitless levels of personalization.
What are some of your funeral inspiration ideas? Share them with us in the comments!