We know that funeral directors are always on the go, waiting for a phone call at any moment. That means things such as planning dinner can easily be interrupted. That’s why we started a new segment called Last Bites.
Each month, we’ll share an easy-to-make recipe that happens to be delicious and healthy too! This way, you’ll have the energy to make it through your often busy days and have something tasty to look forward to!
Like us on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on funeral news and trends!
This Month’s Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Salsa
This month’s recipe comes from the kitchen of our Social Media and Video Specialist Sam Giedris. She loves making this fresh salsa when family comes over, or if she’s looking for a healthy snack to keep around the house!
This recipe is budget-friendly and only takes 15 minutes to make — perfect for busy funeral directors! Check out the video below to get started.
- A whole pineapple (for the bowl)
- 1 cup of pineapple, diced (cut from the inside of the whole pineapple)
- 1 cup of Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup of bell peppers, diced (any color you prefer)
- 1/2 tbsp of jalapenos, diced
- 1/4 cup of red onion, minced
- 1/3 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 4 tbsp of lime juice (about 2 limes)
- First, make the pineapple bowl.
- i. Cut 1/3 of the pineapple off along the length of the whole pineapple. Leave the stem attached.
- ii. Along the inside of the pineapple, cut around the perimeter of the fruit.
- iii. Make various cuts through the center of the pineapple to make chunks.
- iv. Use a sturdy spoon to scoop out the chunks.
- v. Pour out remaining pineapple juice and scrape any leftover fruit away. Now the pineapple should resemble an empty bowl.
- Dice 1 cup of pineapple, 1 cup of Roma tomatoes, and 1 cup of bell peppers, and 1/2 tbsp of jalapenos.
- Mince 1/4 cup of red onions.
- Chop 1/3 cup of cilantro.
- Juice 2 limes for 4 tbsp of lime juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the prepared ingredients (pineapples, Roma tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, red onions, and cilantro) with 4 tbsp of lime juice and a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the pineapple bowl you made earlier.
- Chill in the fridge and enjoy! We recommend with tortilla chips or your favorite Mexican dish.
What’s your favorite easy-to-make recipe? Share it by commenting below!