As Memorial Day nears, communities will come together to honor the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice serving in our nation’s armed forces. Below are some ways in which your funeral home can get involved.
Fly Flag at Half-Staff
If your facility has a flagpole, fly the flag according to the rules of the Department of Veterans Affairs for flying flags on Memorial Day. This involves raising the flag to half-staff from sunrise till noon only. Then the flag should be briskly raised to the top of the staff until sunset to honor the memory of the fallen.
Support Gold Star Families
This Memorial Day, you and your staff also can help by supporting America’s Gold Star Families. Consider volunteering your time, making a charitable donation, or simply raising awareness about the following organizations (click on the link to learn more about each organization).
- TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) has helped assist more than 75,000 surviving families through adult and youth grief programs, 24/7 peer support, and a variety of other grief support services.
- American Gold Star Mothers help mothers of fallen servicemen and women connect and keep the memories of their children alive. They sponsor several volunteer and memorial events throughout the year.
- American Red Cross works to support families of fallen soldiers by providing access to grief and counseling services. They also help families when it comes to applying for benefits.
- Gold Star Wives of America provides a network of support and counseling services to widows of the fallen.
- Folds of Honor provides several ways to get involved with supporting families of the fallen. They have local chapters throughout the country, as well as fundraising programs to raise scholarships for children, spouses, and disabled veterans.
Remembrance Service or Picnic
Your funeral home also can support local families of fallen soldiers by putting on your own event. For example, you could hold a picnic in a memorial park or veterans cemetery. You also could host a remembrance service at your funeral home or local VFW. Consider hosting a raffle or fundraiser to raise money for one of the organizations above, or donate to a local family.
Check these articles for tribute ideas to use during your Memorial Day service:
- Memorial Day Tribute Songs to Honor America’s Heroes
- 5 Poems Your Funeral Home Can Use For A Memorial Day Service
Volunteer or Donate to the Veterans Still with Us
Another way to give back is to give time and support to veterans in your community. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development estimates that there are around 39,000 homeless veterans in our country. Reach out to local veteran outreach programs in your community to find ways to get involved. Click here to find a veteran support organization near you.
Visit a Veterans Cemetery
Organize a community trip to the nearest veterans cemetery. Bring along flags, wreaths, or other tributes to place at the graves of fallen soldiers.
How is your funeral home honoring the fallen this Memorial Day? Email your stories to email@example.com and you could be featured on our blog!
All of us at Frazer Consultants would like to express our deepest gratitude to the men and women who have selflessly given their lives to defend our country. And to the families of the fallen, may you find peace and comfort in the memories of your loved one this Memorial Day.
Keep your funeral home involved in the community all year long! Download our free guide on community involvement ideas and inspiration for your funeral home. Click here to download.