When families are grieving a loss, they may not have the time or energy for running errands and grocery shopping.
Your funeral home can help make their lives a little easier and less stressful with care packages. By creating care packages filled with basic needs, like food and toiletries, you relieve a huge burden off their shoulders.
Care packages are something your funeral home can have on hand to give families when they first come to you. It’s a generous way to show families you care about their well-being and also earn their trust.
Below are some ideas of assorted items you can include in care packages for grieving families.
These are some basic necessities that you can fill up your care packages with:
- Toilet paper
- Travel-sized toothpaste and toothbrush
- Travel-sized shampoo and conditioner
- Bar of soap
- Lip balm
- Pocket pack of tissues
As for food, you will want to include some easy-to-make meals and snacks, such as:
- Canned goods (soup, fruit, vegetables, etc.)
- Instant oatmeal
- Granola bars
- Cracker sandwiches
Another helpful idea is to include a folder with some informational grief resources:
- Educational brochure about coping with grief
- Informational guide with a list of healthy ways to grieve
- Reference sheet containing your funeral home’s grief resources
- Contact information for support groups, grief counselors, and your funeral home
- Recommended online resources (like grief blogs) and grief books (could include a book)
- Information about your funeral home’s upcoming grief seminars and remembrance events
Besides the necessities, you can include some thoughtful items in your care packages, such as:
- Packet of seeds
- Photo album
- Photo frame
- Tribute Ornament
For families with young children, these are a few ideas of items to include:
- Coloring book with crayons
- Stuffed animal
- Activity book
- Information about kids’ grieving resources, like the Apart of Me grief game
- Children’s grief book
By selecting a few items from these sections, you can build care packages that families will be thankful for. You even could partner up with a local business to gather these goods, such as a local grocery store. Or, host a community-wide donation event where community members can donate goods by dropping them off at your funeral home.
What are some other thoughtful care package goodies? Share your ideas in the comments below!
With Tribute Center, you can create personalized tribute products for the families you serve. Download it for free today to start creating meaningful gifts for your families.